Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Reading Buddies


They catch me reading all the time. It's about time I caught them. If I've nothing else as a parent, I've at least taught them to read (well, it's a work in progress and it's progressing very quickly). Rhylan is about to turn 6, just about finished his first year of school and he's reading books at the 2nd and 3rd grade level. It amazes me how many words he knows. He's about to finish his 2nd Magic Treehouse book. He read them cover to cover. He's a sponge! Cooper (is a week from turning 2) is following in his footsteps. He has his favorite Thomas's ABC book and Freight Train board book. He's got them memorized. He knows all his letters (at least he does in his Thomas the Tank Engine book) and he has Freight Train memorized. When life seems too overwhelmed, when he's over-stimulated we escape to his room to read some books so he can pull himself back together. Rhy was like that, too. Yesterday, Rhylan asked if we could go to the library after school today. Be still my heart! He wanted "Harold and the Purple Crayon" (it's classified as "too easy" for him, but hey, it's a great book about a boy with an awesome imagination!). He also found another favorite "The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man". It's also one of my favorite. Very clever book.

Okay, I'm done bragging now. I just wanted to say that I've taught/am teaching my kids to read.
Start early, but it's never too late.

2 comments:

  1. Hey...the Mommy person has been helping with that task too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have hon. You're as much their teacher as I am! :D

    ReplyDelete