Thursday, December 18, 2014

Where There's Family, There is Food

 My friend Tracey over at NoPageLeftBlank wrote about her Christmas Eve and Christmas day meals. Now I'm hungry. Well, not so much hungry as I am craving. My mouth is watering anticipating all the food I will consume during those two festive days. And since my running has been slack, I'm going to have up my New Year's resolutions.

Where there's family, there's food. And plenty of it.

I'm fortunate in the fact that the majority of the food I'll eat won't be prepared by me (or my dear Wifey, for that matter). We'll be spending Christmas Eve at Wifey's dad and step-mom's (aka Guppie and Nanny). I heard there will be pizza fingers. Pizza toppings in egg rolls and deep fried. I could eat my weight in them! Naturally, there will be the usual turkey supper. All the fixings will be included - stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies and gravy over all of it. There's always dessert from the Cottage Bakery... peanut butter cookies, triple chocolate brownies, etc... I'll be sure wear pants with an elastic waistband. Don't want to be popping any buttons.

After supper we'll exchange gifts. The kids, already giddy with excitement they're ready to explode, become even more so when they find out they get open a few presents BEFORE Christmas morning. I get as excited as they do. I just don't bounce around the house like they do.

Anyway, back to food. Did I mention the pizza fingers? I did. Okay.

Then comes Christmas morning. We skip breakfast. Sort of. I make "Grands" cinnamon rolls first thing in the morning when the kids wake up (usually around 6 or 6:30). We snack on those until all the gifts are opened. Then comes the pancakes and bacon. Wifey makes the best bacon. The only problem is she won't let us touch it until she's cooked ALL of it. It boggles my mind how she can stockpile cooked bacon.

Later in the day we head over  to her mom's and step-dad's (aka Nanny and Pop) for another turkey supper. Again, fixings included- more stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies and gravy over all of it. Dessert will probably be apple pie and ice cream. By this time I've become so fat and lazy I move like Jabba the Hutt.

If only my parents weren't 1,100 miles away (in Maryland) we could fit in a third Christmas supper! Back in the day, our family always gathered at "The Farm" (my grandparent's) for, you guessed it, turkey supper. Enough to feed 12-15 people with tons of leftovers! That always brings back memories of green bean casserole. I think I'll have to make it this year.

Eat. Drink. Be merry. Never a problem around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment