Sunday, January 4, 2015

He Caught the Bug

Being a parent of a healthy child is hard. Being the parent of a sick child is down right stressful. You just want them better NOW.

At least we made it through the holiday.

Our youngest has been running a fever of 100-102.5 for 2 days now. We've been piggy backing Tylenol and Advil to keep it down. Tylenol, we find, doesn't do much for fever. Advil on the other hand, brings it right now and helps him feel his usual spunky self. Unfortunately, he is miserable again before the recommended 6 hours is up between doses of Advil.

*Knock on wood* He hasn't been pukey. Though, he does like to keep his garbage can nearby. I did read one interesting tip when you have a sick child. She made the kid's bed with 2 sets of fitted sheets. However, she put a layer of plastic (garbage bags or something) between them. That way if the kid got sick in bed it was just a matter of taking off the top fitted sheet and the bags. Effectively eliminating the need to remake the bed in the middle of the night.

Cool baths work well, too. Of course, this is something I forgot about today. The added bonus is that he loves to play in the water.

I'm a bit selfish when it comes to our kids being sick. I love to snuggle them. Our youngest hollered to me in the kitchen from the living room, "Daddy, I need you"! I go in and he wants me to watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with him. So I lay on the couch with me and pretty soon he's turned toward me, hugging my arm, holding my hand (just like we do at bedtime) and he falls asleep. He wakes just after I leave with a fever spiked at 102.5. We got his next dose of Tylenol into him and soon (but never soon enough) the fever starts to come down again. Here's to hoping for a good night's sleep and waking up feeling better!



Do you have any tricks for helping your sick kid feel better? Please feel free to share! I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment